Thursday, July 24, 2008

1 year after returning - Hope

It has been 1 full year when I moved the family and my home from USA to Pakistan. While my personal situation has been relatively event free, the country has really transformed in the last 1 year. I had not spelled out the political situation in Pakistan in my original post on returning to Pakistan but it is absolutely critical that I do it now. The opportunities and the future outlook for expats wanting to return has changed significantly since then.

I still see reasons strong enough to come back but the nature of those reasons has changed. When I started planning my move, it was a bright financial and professional outlook. A prosperous Pakistan waiting for the sons of its soil to come back, toil the earth of their motherland and reap rewards. Now the country asks for sacrifice. Sacrifice of comfortable and safe living in foreign lands as it has to be abandoned to save the country from imploding. Since most of the audience of this post is probably going to be science and engineering professionals, they may be wondering what can they do against bomb blasts, civil war, unaffordable cost of living, corrupt politicians and incompetent bureacracy. Well, all that their brethren, the fellow citizens of Pakistan need at this time is HOPE. If that one thing is left with the people, they will persevere, they will be able to survive the storm, they will rise again but unfortunately there is no one to give them hope. Even the thought of better days ahead has been taken away.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

waiting for your experience after 2 years of returning back to pakistan. whats the situation now?